Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Weight. Running. Shoes.

I was at Red Coyote Running Store yesterday to get a pair of really good running shoes.  I've been training for a 5k in March and I also plan to run in the Memorial Day Marathon with my work.  I'm not running a marathon, I'll just be running in the relay probably the 5k leg, maybe the 10k?
I needed to find some running shoes that were perfect for me.
This place is awesome, they have you run or walk on a treadmill and they video tape your feet.  They look at your gait to see what areas of your foot that need support.
I had a wonderful guy help me, and he was very patient as I tried on a billion shoes and couldn't seem to tie my laces correctly.  
This should probably be for my "Friday Faves and Flops" review, but there is more to this story.
I ended up getting these shoes (in blue stripes), they are so light and great!


http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/product-detail/product.jsp?id=KSS409&sc=CX10M075&cm_mmc=portal-_-googlebase-_-na-_-rrs206-KSS409



As I was sitting there this other customer is talking to another customer that he knows.  There is a larger girl in there and he makes the comment to his friend, "She's getting running shoes? Gotta lose weight for the new year."  Then they laughed.


People are so insensitive sometimes.  So what if that's what she is doing?  At least she's trying to better herself as a person, which they should try to better their attitudes.  As someone who has struggled with her weight starting at 12 years old, it's not something that is easily fixed.  I've gone over countless diets throughout the years, binge diets, fad diets, weight loss pills, etc...  Obsessively hovering over the scale and pinching areas of yourself you wish you could take off. You can do it for so long, but it doesn't really ever change the source inside you that makes you eat and overindulge.  As of now, I'm just sticking to eating healthier and working out toward a goal that I made for myself.  If I lose weight in the process, that would be great.  


Who knows if that girl in the running shoe store will lose weight?  Maybe this is the beginning of a life changing year for her and she doesn't need people knocking her down.


I once had a friend that said that "fat people disgusted her".. that watching The Biggest Loser made her want to vomit.  She would say, "just stop eating so much!  Eat a salad!"  I asked her if I gained weight, would she still be friends with me?  She told me that it depended on how much weight I gained, 250 lbs would be her limit.  This is in all seriousness, and I was very hurt by this, when she knew how much I struggled with eating better and getting in shape.
This friend was diagnosed with depression, and was being treated for it.  I never mentioned it to her, but I probably should have... People that have problems with eating are no better or worse than you and your depression.  It is a mental/emotional problem that we deal with, just like you do. 


She never understood it, she claimed to be so open-minded, but was very ignorant when it came to that subject.  To make a comparison, I wish I would've told her that there is a certain level at which she was depressed that I would stop being her friend. (Which I wouldn't have done, we parted ways due to other matters.)


Regardless, I wish that more people would just be loving and supportive instead of sitting in judgment to things you have no idea about.  You have no idea what has gone in that person's life.  


1 Peter 8-11
8 Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 9 Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling.10 Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. 11 If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Brandi, I would only love you up to 327 lbs.

    NOT!

    What 5K are you doing in March? I might be in on this deal... :)

    ReplyDelete